Tuesday, June 19, 2012

*be kind*

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

I love this quote. To me, this is the most important lesson that can be taught to our children, Be Kind. Whatever it takes, BE KIND! I have been grateful for little teaching lessons that come along and focus on this for Kaden, but one moment this week backfired on me.

We went to the park one day, it was a steamy day, close to 100 degrees. Denver can be HOT in the summer, being so close to the sun. So 100 degrees here really feels like 120. While we were getting everyone out of the car, this sweet VERY old woman (I'm thinking she was in her 90's) fumbled over to us (you are probably thinking she is homeless, but she was most definitely not...very well to do area, and she was dressed to the nines) and explained that she had lost her car and had been wandering around for a long time trying to find it. We talked for a little bit and I tried to be helpful, and she shared that she was feeling thirsty. We had two HUGE containers of water and I gave one to her and told her to keep it. I figured if she had been walking around that long, she REALLY needed it. The water containers were cute, but somewhat disposable, or so I thought. Kaden lost his mind. I spent the rest of the day discussing the importance of helping other people, especially those that are much older than us. He continued to say he was "sad about the cup" and "it was sooooo special to him". Later I told the story to daddy and he said "why did you give her the cup, I loved that cup", and kaden actually jumped up and down and yelled "I told you so mommy, that cup was SPECIAL to us" So much for a lesson in kindness. Mommy sucks.

Two days later, we were watching some Curious George episode and I commented on how *kind* George was to the squirrel. Kaden didn't look at me and did'nt skip a beat and said "I miss my cup". Lovely.


Mamaw and Papaw met up with us at this really cool festival that was sponsered by the Rec centers....they had fire truck rides for the kids, a band, fun treats and games, bouncy houses and an awesome obstacle course for the kids to live out their dreams of being a firefighter. Had I known how amazing this moment would be, I so would have captured it on the Flip.

His assignment was to weave in and out of the cones, go through the tunnel and then run over to the hose and spray the fire. We watched 10 kids do it and I explained as each one went what he needed to do. Kaden just went ahead and sprinted like a madmen all the way up to that little hill in the back of that picture. We were all laughing so hard...I have never seen him run so fast....I think he thought HE was on fire!
so excited about the Chik Filet cow....he thought he was hysterical
.

~riding the fire truck with Mamaw.

 ~Sophie partying in her party dress.


~makin brownies for father's day

  ~kaden wore this when he was recuperating from his surgery....it was a costume that he wore when he was not even 2 years old. I think this in combination with watching Mary Poppins 9 times made him have a speedy recovery.

2 comments:

  1. Miss you Jenny, adore your be kind story!
    The growing family is beautiful:)
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. *be kind* I love this story. Jenny; you keep teaching it cause Kurt Vonnegut was right!

    ReplyDelete