Saturday, June 30, 2012

*divine timing*




This last week had been my last week before going back to work after a glorious maternity leave. It hurts my heart to even think about it, but I know both of my precious angels will be in good hands, I just wish it were MY hands! I can't think of a better cure for the back to work blues than two of my favorite people coming to town for a visit. My cousin Jena came for four days, and we had such good bonding time. Kaden is so smitten with her, he was so sad to see her go (as were we!) She is the amazing photographer that took this sweet family shot above. Check out all her work on her site, Jena Cumbo Photography and her event site (if you are looking for a wedding photographer, seriously, she is your girl!!! You will NOT be dissappointed!) JC Event Photography.

Later in the week, my LA Zingy, Farrah stopped off for a visit on a road trip moving a friend back to Chicago. Though her visit was short, I was so happy we were able to play for a bit! It was so awesome to see her. She brought me a piece of LA back, and it was the first time I had a bit of homesickness for LA. She brought back a jar of that insane Chimchurri sauce that they serve with the bread at Lala's on Melrose, which was our favorite stomping ground back in the day. We may have wolfed the whole jar down that night after a few glasses of vino.

please notice kaden's random green socks. he wore these the whole time TT Jena was here after he noticed that she had neon green socks when she first arrived. we unfortunately did not have any neon green, so these had to do.



Kaden and his favorite TT Gabeen.

me and my zingybing. kaden was not feeling camera ready :)



happy girl.



the night after Jazz in the park. Our *processing* party.

\
On a not so happy note, last week, I was super excited to introduce Jazz in the park to Jena. My amazing friend Audrey met up with us, and we had fun with the kids, listening to sweet jazz, chowin down on snacks, and soaking up the energy of one of our favorite outings during the summer. Toward the end of the night, Kaden needed to go potty and i took him to the boathouse to do his business. While we waited in line, I watched at least a dozen little ones play barefoot in the grass, right next to the parking lot. I stared as we waited wondering how many of them would have goose poop embedded in between their toes, since there is such an abundance of this lovely green stuff in the park. This is the visual that I can't help going back to when I think back to that night. Moments later we were in the bathroom, doing our thing, and as we were washing our hands, we heard the shots. The bathroom flooded with people screaming and yelling and looks of terror in their eyes. It was absolute chaos. A cop came to the bathroom entrance and told us to stay in there. I picked up Kaden and ran and hid in the bathroom, trying so hard to be calm, but was on the verge of a breakdown. In my mind, I was sure that there was someone out in the park, just randomly shooting at innocent souls. Chad, Sophia, Audrey and Jena were all out in the park and I had no way to know if they were alright. I saw a few girls leave the bathroom, and the girl crouched down next to me (an angel for sure!) had texted her friend who was in the park, and she told her she thought it was ok to come out. I followed her out of the bathroom and the park was completely madness. People had mostly abandoned their things and just taken off, not knowing what was happening. People were running for the one side of the park and we ran too. We caught up with everyone, Chad took one look at me and took Kaden from me, obviously seeing that I was a complete mess. When we got home, we heard the horrible news that it was an isolated incident and a female police officer was shot while trying to break up a fight between two gangs (I can't stop wondering where the *gangs* are at jazz in the park....I have never seen one shady character here, only families and chill and relaxed souls having a good time). The news was even more grim when we learned that she was the single mother of a twelve year old girl. My heart and prayers go out to her daughter, her friends and her family....and those sweet little barefoot children that I was watching outside the bathroom that I know must have seen something that their carefree hearts had never dreamed of seeing that evening.

Tommorow night, Jazz in the park continues, and I think we have decided to go, although I do have mixed feelings about it. I think it's important for Kaden to continue to have his joyful feelings about Jazz in the park, and maybe it will be good for my soul as well.


Sophia dolled up in her Hello my name is onesie, gifted from my sweet friend, Lisa.


Sophia loungin on this gorgeous quilt that Aunt Gloria made for her.
 
I love the look on her face.


our morning hula hoop session. Unfortunately, one three year old was injured moments after this photo was taken. he got a wee bit excited about this hula performance and bonked his nose on the hoop pretty hard.

This week also marked the start of one of the worst fire seasons ever in Colorado. The devastation is so unreal and the whole situation is so heartbreaking. If you are wanting to find a way to help, this site gives some helpful info that can help to lead you in the right direction. Click here to find ways that you can help!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and an awesome holiday this week!






1 comment:

  1. dang, i'm sad i didn't hoolahoop while visiting! ;) love you so much miss jenny!

    ReplyDelete